Porcelain veneers are used to hide stains or enhance the color of a faded tooth. The loss of enamel causes the tooth to lose its shine, which makes the teeth look dull and unpleasant. Dr. Iwanoff’s practice in Ottawa, Ontario suggests porcelain veneers that can help transform stained and discolored teeth back to bright, white gleaming teeth. Porcelain veneers are tiny wafer-thin shells made of durable material which is designed to slide over your tooth and they are relatively easy to apply.
Veneers not only renew your teeth, but can also help reduce gaps between your teeth. Porcelain veneers are customized to fit your mouth according to the size, shape and texture of your teeth, helping to maintain the natural appearance of your smile. The result can be long lasting if proper care is taken after the treatment.
Benefits of Porcelain Veneers
- Strength and durability – Porcelain veneers are made from a strong, durable material, you can continue to enjoy your favourite foods without worry.
- Long-lasting solution – Veneers can last as long as 10 to 15 years, with proper upkeep.
- Natural-looking results – Porcelain veneers are specially made to match your natural tooth colour.
- Customised for your smile – Impressions of your teeth will be sent to a laboratory so the veneers are hand-crafted to fit your individual tooth.
- Quick, simple procedure – Typically placement of the porcelain veneers can be complete within in two visits.
- Stain-resistant – Porcelain veneers are resistant to staining, unlike natural teeth. You can maintain brilliant pearly whites, while still enjoying coffee, tea, and other products that normally cause staining of the teeth.
- Cosmetic benefits – Porcelain veneers improve teeth that are cracked, chipped, broken, badly discoloured, widely spaced, or slightly misaligned. Veneers are solely used for cosmetic purposes and placed on front, visible teeth.
- No recovery – Once the placement procedure is complete, patients can leave our practice and immediately carry on with normal, everyday activities.
- Can be combined with other treatments – Tooth whitening treatment as a finishing touch to your new, gorgeous smile.
- Enhance confidence – An improved smile can help you feel more confident about your appearance, ultimately giving you a better quality of life.
Although veneers have become especially popular in the past couple of decades, they originated nearly one hundred years ago during the early days of the film industry. In the late 1920s, Dr. Charles Pincus, a famed Hollywood dentist, conceived of veneers as a way to enhance actors’ and actresses’ smiles on the screen. He would temporarily apply false fronts to the stars’ teeth, giving them the stunning smiles that quickly became a trademark of Hollywood beauty. However, he lacked the technology to permanently affix the porcelain. In the late 1960s, Dr. Michael Bunocore ushered in the modern era of adhesive dentistry; by lightly etching teeth with a mild acidic solution, he created a stronger bonding surface for dental sealants and restorations. In 1982, J.R. Calamia and R.J. Simonsen applied Dr. Bunocore’s techniques to the application of porcelain veneers. Suddenly, everyone had access to the stunning Hollywood smiles of days past.
Over the past 30 years, developing dental technology has made veneers more lifelike and convenient than ever before. New types of porcelain are stronger and reflect light similarly to natural dental enamel. Digital imaging systems enable many dentists to create same-day restorations that are a near-perfect match to the natural shape and color of patients’ teeth. Additionally, other advanced dental treatments such as teeth whitening and dental crowns can be combined with veneers to provide patients with comprehensive cosmetic results and truly stunning smiles.